Wednesday, August 4, 2010

family reunion: part IV

When we left Cambria a bunch of us drove about 15 minutes north on Hwy 1 to go view the elephant seals. Of course, on the way there Sean fell asleep so my dad stayed with him in the car while the rest of us got out to go see (it was my mom, younger brother Timmy, aunt Julie, cousin Korrie, Dathan, Nolan, & myself). Here is Nolan riding on "Uncle B's" shoulders heading out to see the elephant seals. Yes, my brother Timmy is "Uncle B," even though I have a brother whose name starts with B. Brian is not "Uncle B" but Timmy is. We just like to confuse everyone! Actually when Sean was learning to talk he would try to say "Uncle Timmy" but it would always come out "Uncle B" so it kinda stuck :)

Here they are... just laying out on the beach! There are a TON of them and (you can't really tell by the picture) they are HUGE. Some of them move... but not far, and not fast (it took one about 30 minutes to get from his spot in to the water). When they get hot they use their fins to fling sand on their backs. So funny!

My cousin Korrie on the boardwalk being a dork (in other words pretending to be Kate from Titanic)

Dathan & Timmy showing Korrie how it's really supposed to be done

Nolan had a blast!

Ok so these two random crows were sitting on this log, and my cousin Korrie & I somehow made up personalities & names for them, and then went on to have an entire crow conversation. Meet Russell and Cheryl... a married couple who were having communication problems. Russell also had wandering eyes and wanted to watch the seagulls but Cheryl wanted him to cuddle and pay attention to her. I know you all probably think I'm crazy now, but it was really funny at the time (I'm sure it's one of those "you had to be there" things).

So sweet!

While walking on the boardwalk looking at the elephant seals we ran into family! Ha! Some of the extended family from the reunion had also ventured to the same place and we just happened to meet up with them.

We left and went back to my aunt and uncle's house to just relax for a bit and say goodbye. Can you feel the love?

My cousin Mandi and her husband John (and boys) were about to leave so we had to get a shot of all 4 of the kids together. It's so fun that we both have 2 boys each and they are all close in age- Sean (almost 4), Jacob (3.5), Nolan (16 months), Aaron (15 months). How cute are they??

And a sweet shot of the "big boys." I should try to find the last photo I took of the two of them together- I think Sean was about 10 months and Jacob was about 4 months.

We were going to leave to drive home but then we got talked into going out to dinner with everyone and then staying the night at my cousin Josh & Dana's house that night... so we did :) We went out to a little Mexican place in downtown Paso (I am NOT a Mexican food fan) and we had a fun time just hanging out.


It was a long weekend, but a lot of fun. It was nice to meet family that I've never met before, and "re-meet" family that I hadn't seen since I was 14 (the last family reunion I was at) or 2 (which I think is the only other one I've been to?). I may be a dork, but I enjoy learning family history & how/why we're all related to each other.

No comments: